What are the Effective Tips for Manual Wheelchair Maintenance?
Maintenance of any device plays an important role to ensure its proper functioning and longevity. Thus, we should spare some time and keep on maintaining our wheelchairs regularly to prevent damage and breakdowns. Following this process, you will be sure that your vehicle is working appropriately and hence rely on mobility. In this article, we will see the different aspects, tips, and tricks for manual wheelchair maintenance.
How Proper Maintenance is Effective and Solves Major Problems?
If you follow a proper guide for maintaining your vehicle after a certain interval of time. You will see to examine the issues at an early stage rather than becoming major problems. You can follow some of the important aspects which should be checked timely.
1. Always try to check the nuts and bolts whether it is properly tight.
2. Another important point that you should take care of is the tires for wear and proper inflation, cleaning and lubricating moving parts, and checking the brakes for proper functioning.
3. By following the proper maintenance, you will be able to know the problems soon to repair before they become major issues.
Read More: Manual Wheelchair vs Electric Wheelchair
Manual Wheelchair Maintenance Tips
Go through the following tips and tricks for manual wheelchair maintenance:
- Regularly inspect the parts: After a certain interval of time, you should examine and check whether all bolts and nuts are tightened properly. This process is recommended to be done on a regular basis to ensure the wheelchair stays sturdy.
- Cleaning is important: Cleaning and lubrication of wheels are equally important to improve mobility. This process will help to reduce friction as well.
- Inspection to be done on regular basis: It is important to inspect the tires to check the damage and wear. If it is found then try to replace it immediately if necessary.
- Cleaning of upholstery: Another tip is to keep the upholstery clean. Once it is properly clean then try to make it dry to avoid skin irritation and infection.
- Always check the wheelchair brakes: For the proper functioning of a wheelchair, it is important to check the brakes and adjust them, if necessary, on regular basis.
- Place your wheelchair in dry surroundings: Another important tip to avoid rust and corrosion on your wheelchair is to place it in a dry and protected place.
- Spare wheels and tires should be ready in case of urgency: There can be the possibility of using another wheel, tire, or tube if these are functioning properly. In such hard times, it recommends keeping a spare set of objects like wheels, tires, and tubes which can be used in emergencies.
- Oiling of pivot points for smooth working: Always try to clean and oil the pivot points of your wheelchair. This will help in the smooth folding and unfolding of the vehicle.
- Call a proficient person once a year: Try to call your professional person once a year to inspect and perform any required maintenance to ensure the wheelchair stays durable.
- Do not overload the vehicle: Always keep a note and avoid overloading your vehicle and using it on rough terrain.
By following the above-mentioned manual wheelchair maintenance tips, you can keep your equipment in good condition and ensure that it provides you with safe and comfortable mobility.